Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

Custody Concerns Over Pregnant, Out-of-State Ex

My ex is living in Tenn. She says she’s pregnant with my child. What do I need to do to start a custody battle if that child is mine?

Is she your x-wife or x-girl friend? Were you married or divorced in Tenn? If your x is living in Tennessee permanently and the baby is born in Tennessee, Tennessee will have jurisdiction over the child to determine custody rights.

If your X consents, you may be able to have your DNA matched against the unborn baby’s DNA. If that is not possible, after the baby is born you would have the right to file a paternity action and request a DNA test. If it is positive and you are the father, then your next steps in court would be establishing parenting time, decision making and establishing child support.