Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

File for Emancipation to Stop Support?

Hi, I got divorced in 2000 and my child support order states that when my daughter turns 19, I do not have to pay any longer. Do I need to file for emancipation or anything with the court to stop paying child support? Also, my ex-wife states I have to pay for college for my daughter, when in fact I know Colorado state law states I do not unless we have a signed agreement with the court and a judge has signed. Am I right about this?

Unless you have younger children for whom you are providing support, child support automatically ends on your daughter’s 19th birthday. If you have other kids, you will need to modify the child support.
You are correct. Unless you agreed in writing that you have to pay for college, you are not obligated.