Have a Question?

Visit our Q&A page and Get Answers.


44 Cook Street, Suite 100

Denver, CO 80206

State Jurisdictions for Serving Contempt

I was awarded a citation for contempt against my husband. The case is in Colorado (Divorce). My ex lives in Texas. Which law governs the serving process? The state of Texas’ laws or Colorado. Thanks!!!

The Colorado rules apply for service. However, you will have to get the Contempt citation registered in the state of Texas, and could have a Texas sheriff or Texas private process server serve him. Good service will be based on Colorado law.